Flexistaff are currently looking to recruit a Market Porter Supervisor to work for a reputable client based in Dunstable
Main duties are to supervise and assist in providing cleaning and portering services which enable the Council to operate its Markets in an efficient, clean, attractive and safe manner.
To drive the van and trailer used to transport the market stall frames from the storage location to the market area.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1.To be responsible for the supervision of the market erection and dismantling and the associated portering staff, ensuring high standards of cleanliness, health and safety, security and hygiene. Together with ensuring related equipment is maintained and fit for purpose. Duties will also include arranging sickness and holiday cover, the preparation of rotas and reporting any shift changes to the Market Officer.
2.Transport, erect and dismantle market stalls in accordance with Health and Safety regulations and as directed by the Market Officer.
- Clean and maintain the market area to a satisfactory standard, this may include; litter picking, management of waste, sweeping, leaf and ice and snow clearance.
- Assist with the general maintenance of market area, stalls and related equipment.
- Ensure the security of the market area and compound during the opening and closing of the market.
- Report any damage or defects found in the market area, equipment or materials to the Market Officer.
- To comply with the Council’s Health and Safety Policy to ensure the safety of oneself, any member of staff, market trader and member of the public whilst undertaking required duties.
- To assist the Council in delivering its corporate plan, and the development of Dunstable Market.
- To undertake any relevant training as identified by the Market Officer.
- To operate in accordance with Council priorities and comply with policies relating to Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Customer Care, Market Regulations and Customer Charter.
- To deal with colleagues, traders and members of the public openly and fairly at all times.
- To assist on special markets and Council events as directed by the Market Officer or Head of Service.
- To undertake duties as required by line manager or Head of Service and perform any other duties that might be reasonably expected from a Market Porter Supervisor as required from time to time.
- Have knowledge of good customer care practices and the ability to communicate positively with the general public, and market traders.
- Physical ability to lift, carry and perform other physical tasks on a daily basis, within recommended existing manual handling regulations.
- Have an appropriate (including section B), full, clean driving licence.
- Have experience of staff management.
Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation in particular that relating to manual handling and a commitment to safe working practices on and around public highways.
Experience of working within a market or public service setting.
Complexity and Creativity
The post holder will work under the guidance of the Market Officer at all times.
The main duties undertaken by the post holder are routine and repetitive in nature, but are part of high profile front line services which comes under constant public scrutiny and as such delivery needs to be of the highest possible standard.
This role will require the post holder to work early mornings, evenings and Saturdays. The post holder may also be expected to work additional hours and days for specialist market and events.
The post holder’s place of work will be the Market area, with the Ashton Square Market compound being the base location.
28hrs per week. 1 year contract.
Job Reference: RI0038_1507282441
Salary: £11.77 per annum
Salary per: Annum
Job Duration: ONGOING
Job Start Date: ASAP