Rue Itzinger

Dec 16 2020

Brexit: What HGV and LGV Drivers should expect

Truck, Heavy Duty, Tractor, Transport, Traffic

There’s not long to go now until the transition period after the UK left the EU in January 2020 comes to an end, and it’s important for LGV and HGV drivers working in the EU to be ready for some potential changes to their normal routine. Here’s what you need to be aware of.

From January 1st, you may require an ECMT permit to travel through EU countries.

The following types of trailers must be registered before travelling through EU countries:

  • Commercial trailers weighing over 750kg
  • Non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg

A certificate for abnormal loads should be kept in your vehicle to present at border crossings. Some countries have different regulations when it comes to abnormal loads, so you may need to check!

GB stickers will need to be displayed on the back of your vehicle and the trailer, but not when driving through Ireland.

You won’t require a visa for travelling in the EU; you can stay for up to 90 days in any 180 day period.

For more information, visit the government website here.